Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest effective treatment for skin lesion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
I have been taking 1g Valtrex twice a day for 23 days with no results. Is there some other medication I should try that may be more effective.Further, I have had this outbreak continuous for 18 months before being tested. It started as a bumpy rash on my left side of my back. After 12 months I developed a rash in the groin area and buttox.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pictures and details required Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I would like to have a look at the exact skin lesions before we can come to the probable diagnosis and its further treatment. Please click some close up pictures of the exact skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also please tell if the rash has been persistent since so long or it tends to heal and reappear. Is there any associated pain, itching or discomfort? What are you applying over the lesions? Waiting for your response and the above details. Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest effective treatment for skin lesion 1 hour later
I have uploaded five images. The one on the back was first and has been persistent for18 months, no pain, just iching. The ones on the butt and groin have been persistent for about 10 month, no pain just itching. I have only used anti itch lotion. I got tested for STD's Only positive for Genital Herpes and Oral Herpes. Also, have type 2 Diabetes take 850 mg Metformina twice a day.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Extensive fungal infection skin Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the attached pictures. You are having an extensive fungal skin infection which is tinea infection. Now this type of skin infection is very common in diabetics especially those whose blood glucose levels are not well in control. So first of all, you need to see your physician and get your blood glucose levels checked once again and get prescribed accordingly. Now for the infection, you need to apply an antifungal cream like canestan over the affected areas twice a day. In addition, you can use a clotrimazole containing antifungal dusting powder twice a day over the skin folds. Do not apply any other cream or oils over the body. Any kind of moisturizers also tend to increase the fungal infection. Wear cotton clothes so as to minimize sweating. Take bath daily. You can take some oral antihistamines like benadryl for the associated itching. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor