Suggest effective alternative to Hydrocodone for sciatic nerve pain

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having a great deal of pain with a siatic nerve. The dr. prescribed hydrocodone, but I am allergic to codeine. what do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take tylenol. Apply hot compress.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The pain of sciatica (due to compression of sciatic nerve) is often quite intense and you need to take pain medication. But it provides only symptomatic relief. Spinal traction or physical therapy are needed for proper relief. Hot compress should also provide symptomatic relief. But unless the underlying cause is taken care of, pain relief will not be adequate.

I would like to know what specific symptoms did you have when you took codeine. Your answer will help me to determine whether you could be 'allergic' to hydrocodone. I would also like to know whether you mentioned about this 'allergy' to your treating physician? In any case, hydrocodone is not the only pain medication that can give you relief. As of now, taking tylenol 1g thrice a day should give you relief from pain. Also apply hot compress.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 minutes later
Gas formed around my heart. This was 60 years ago & I was pregnant. However, when my second child was born they were giving me codeine and I became so weak I could hardly walk so the Dr. gave me a shot to counteract & changed medication.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are unlikely to be allergic to hydrocodone.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I have gone through the details mentioned. Let me assure you that the mentioned symptoms do not indicate 'allergy' to codeine. I understand the feeling of weakness that was associated. However, I do not think think that you are likely to be allergic to hydrocodone and can give it a try. Be sure to take it in full stomach and the 'gas' related problems are unlikely to occur. Tylenol too when taken in full stomach, should give you similar relief. But be sure to get the underlying nerve compression treated.

Wish you health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar