Suggest effective alternative for Advent forte

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Am giving my 2.5 old baby advent forte 3.5 ml... He is having cough nd high fever... By taking advent forte just one dose only he vomit nd next day when I again gave him he has loose stool... Should I continue or there is any alternative... His doctor said one or two loose motion is acceptable
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends whether blood tests have been done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthareMagic.

Most often respiratory tract infections are due to viral cause and antibiotics are ineffective in such infections. Some doctors prefer to play safe and prescribe antibiotics. However, unless there are definite indications that point to a bacterial infection (like raised leucocyte count or patches on chest X ray) I would not prefer giving antibiotics. If antibiotics are given, the normal gastrointestinal flora gets disturbed and this could lead to antibiotic associated diarrhea. You would have to bear with it if the antibiotics need to be given. But the answer to whether it should be given lies in whether the investigational findings have been the determinant in the antibiotic being prescribed. Unless there are findings like wheezing (or noisy respiration) or raised leucocyte count I would not insist you to continnue Advent Forte.

The mainstay of treatment should be steam inhalation. Water in form of vapor should be able to reach deep inside and help in diluting the cough and would thus provide relief.