Suggest ear drops or non-antibiotic treatment for ear ache

Dr. Irshad H Naqvi

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 2 yr old daughter had fever/flu and earache 3 weeks ago. Amoxocilan was prescribed for 10 days (4ml x3 per day). Ear ache on other side started yesterday. Any oil treatments that may work rather than antibiotics if we see a doctor again? Pediatrician away this week. ANy reasonwhy it would go to the other ear?
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acute RTI with otitis media B/L Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Welcome to the XXXXXXX Acute RTI can happen to any child 6 to 12 times in a year and it is considered as normal provided it should be taken care-of properly. Both side pain in ear along with the respiratory tract infection means the infection has extended to both middle ear cavity through throat. At this situation one should not avoid proper medication with antihistamic decongestant anti inflammatory medicine along with relevant antibiotic with proper recommended doses. Ear drops are available containing pain killer like otogesic ear drop can be poured to get the instant relief Steam inhalation is quite important. Hope the query is answered Please feel free for the further clarification Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E