Suggest dosage of testosterone injection

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,
I received the script for my son to receive a testosterone injection (as previously mentioned for small or micro penis), however, the instructions are for 100mg not 50 once a month for 3 months. I'm concerned because as per your previous recommendation to give 50 mg this is double that dosage. What if any side effects or negative outcome can incur from double ypur recommended dosage of 50 mg? Also, how much of an increase in penis size can we hope for? - Approximately of course!
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Effects of testosterone

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Welcome back.
Could you please provide your son's height and weight if possible? Testosterone does 2 things if injected at this age.
1) If kick start puberty by activating hypothalamus GnRH neurons. Hence natuurally the testosterone production in testes starts.
2) Testosterone injection directly act on penis and increases the length.

I am expecting atleast 2-3 cm growth in penis size at this stage . But it again depends on his genetic potential and current penile length. So it varies from person to person. Further increase in penis size happen over the course of puberty.

My experience is in XXXXXXX and Asian kids and use 50 mg dose. The practice in USA may be different. Because Caucsian and black kids tend to be more taller and heavier compared to Asians. However, as i mentioned earlier, many XXXXXXX guidelines recommend 50 mg dose. Your doctor must be having a reason to prescribe 100 mg.

Binu