Suggest dosage of Vaxirab after exposure to the rabies virus

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: a pet dog had bitten on my both legs down to knee with more wound in right leg.owner of dog said,injection to dog has given before one year..then after 15 min. of dog bite i took a T.T injection and after 2 hours i took a VaxRab injection as a first shot and after as per schedule i have taken two more Rabipur injection.i.e total three shot
Now two shots remain as per government PGI doctor but when i injectioned in PGI, schedular said fourth shot is now off but last shot you need to take after 3 weeks of 3rd shot. What should i do ? and its enough to prevent from rabies. or any suggestion
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
VaxiRab is totally 5 doses.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. VaxiRab is totally 5 doses when given for post exposure prophylaxis. This is given on 0,3,7,14 and 28 th days after exposure. Accordingly the last shot is 3 weeks from the 3rd shot. However in my opinion, you should complete the last two doses on 14th and 28th days. If you miss on any of this dates then take on the adjacent nearby day. This is necessary to complete the vaccination.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 59 minutes later
Sir...I took initally a vaxirab from out of govt. PGI and two of rabipur from govt. PGI on both shou lders half half each one ....total three..when I visited to PGI on 14th day i.e today they replied , only 4 shots now has been giving to every one as per govt.......should I take it from outside
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should take from out side.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

The schedule they mention is different. If you have taken two doses on 0,3,and 7 then it is ok to take the 4th one at 28th day and complete. But as you followed the one dose daily initially better to have a shot on 14 th day also. You can take it from out side.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 45 minutes later
9th may.......0.....vaxirab and T.T
12th may....3......rabipur
16th may.....7......rabipur
Above all taken
23 may.........14....should take?
6th XXXXXXX .......28.....will take
Govt PGI does not give only on 14th day
They said its not required
Should I take it from outside
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should take from outside.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

You should take the 23rd may dose (14th day) from outside. If you were following initially from Govt PGI that is 2 doses daily from day 0 then you can take off on 14th day. They said not required according to their schedule.

Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN