Suggest dosage of Sertaline for OCD

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I take 250 MG of Sertaline daily for OCD. I ran out of my prescription and have been with out it nearly a week. I am really starting to feel horrible without it, physically, mentally, emotionally. I do not feel I can function adequately in this upcoming work week, as I feel like I want to roll up in a ball and sleep. Any tips on what to do? Any over the counter alternatives such as St. Johns Worth to hold me off until I get my prescription refilled?

If I went to a 24 hour pharmacy would like be able to help me out neither though I don't have a prescription filled out? Maybe I can bring my previous prescription bottles...
Thank you and info will be appreciated!
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to refill

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
What you are experiencing is a withdrawal symptoms of sertraline. Its not the recurrence of OCD. You would need sertraline to reduce these symptoms. As health care magic is an online forum, legally we are not supposed to prescribe medications without physically examining you. Such regulation are primarily meant for the safety of the patients as well as the Doctor. Further any prescription given in E-mail will not be honored by the pharmacy in your country. Sincere apologies for the same.
Moreover no OTC will help you in this regard. I would suggest that you should visit your treating psychiatrist and get the prescription for the refill. Or else visiting the ER might help.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 33 minutes later
Ok, thank you for your response. My psychologist is unreachable at this time. I read that St. Johns Worth may help so I just purchased that at a store.

Additionally I wanted to ask you, I do have Prozac and Aderal, which has been prescribed to me before. Would this provide me with any relief in the interim?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prozac will control the symtoms to some extent

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow-up.
Prozac may help you in dealing with the symptoms as it also belongs to the same group of SSRI. It can be a make shift arrangement but meet your psychiatrist soon. Adderal wont help as it is a all together different drug. St Johns wort may be tried but as it is a hgerb, nothing can be said certainly about its effect. If you ask me, I would advice you to better avoid it.
Hope this helps,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju