Suggest dosage of Prednisone

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I Have a Rx for 5 mg prednisone for poison ivy from last Sept. still viable but unsure how to take it. 6 the first day then 5 then 4, 3, 2, 1?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not self medicate. Take it only under guidance of your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Prednisolone is a steroid. Its structure is similar to steroid hormones. When it is supplied from outside, the body assumes that plenty of it is present and so stops production of those essential hormones. In such a situation if the externally supplied steroid (prednisolone) is suddenly withdrawn, the body does not get time to readjust its steroid hormone production and problems result. Hence, when steroids like prednisolone is given, the dose is tapered off. Hence on the first day you take 5mg, on the next day you take 4 mg, the following day you take 3mg, the next day 2 mg, the following day 1 mg and thereafter you omit. That is the way to take such medicines.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha