Suggest dosage of Clexane

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello Doctor. I'm a 45 year old female. In 2007 I had an epsiode of multiple Pulmonary Embolisoms. I took warfarin for 6 months post. I was diagnosed as post-menopausal a couple of years ago. I take progesterone tablets ( Bioidentical) and Estradot 75 patches. A haematologist was monitoring me for about 12 months and prescribed 2 Cartia tablets a day. All seems fine. I am about to go on two 24 hour filghts - about 12 days apart. Last time I went on a long flight was 2 years ago and the specialist I was seeing prescribed Clexane. I'm not able to get in to see him again before I leave and i cannot recall the dosage etc. I am wondering if you could tell me what the dosage and regiment should be for Clexane before I travel. I think I recall having to stop taking the Cartia for a couple of days and using the Clexane the night before travel and an hour before the flight - I just can't be sure! And then when do I start the Cartia again when I get to my destination etc? Hope you can help. And thanks so much for your time. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Although the exact dose of clexane is calculated based on the body weigh, the usual dosage to prevent pulmonary embolism is 0.4 ml (4000 I.U) clexane the night before and 0.4 ml clexane one hour before the flight.

You should continue with the same dosage (o.4 ml two times a day) for 2-4 days. The same recommendation are when you travel back home.

You should start the Cartia when you reach your destination.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply Dr Shehu. Would you just confirm that your are advising that I continue taking the Clexane twice per day for2-4 days after reaching my destination as well as resuming the 2 Cartia tablets each day? Are you saying that I don't cease taking the Cartia at any time, in luie of taking the Clexane?
Thanks
XXXX
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Yes, I confirm to take the clexane the above suggested dose. However, you should keep in mind that these are only suggestions and you should contact your doctor for a prescription.

You may take Cartia XT (diltiazem) there's no interaction between Clexan e Cartia.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu