Suggest dosage of Aldactone

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: In reference to earlier questions about my father's Gout condition, he had visited Physician twice. Since the swelling was not going away and whenever he walked for sometime swelling in foot used to appear again causing pain, he finally visited cardiologist to get his medicines of diuretic changed as was suggested by you.

Cardiologist changed diuretic to Aldactone 100 mg from earlier Lasilactone and prescribed below medicines for Gout treatment. But after 3-4 days my father was having heavy headedness and low pulse of 46 so he visited cardiologist again. He then asked to reduce Aldactone to 50 mg and stop pain killers and take it only if pain persists. But even after this he used to feel heavy headedness and so he did not take diuretic for 2 days after which he feels fine.

so can you advise if Aldactone dose can be further reduced to 20 mg daily 1?
any reason why his swelling in foot due to Gout condition not going away completely even though it has been 3-4 weeks now?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to reduce Aldactone.

Detailed Answer:
HI

See I feel that his heavy headedness , low pulse is not due to Aldactone. It is just a coincidence that after stopping the Aldactone he felt better .

My personal recommendation is to continue with 50mg only . If you still want to reduce the dose , it can be reduced to 25 mg but in that case the resolution of foot swelling will be even slower.

I need to know whether your father has been started on Zyloric tablets or not . If he has been taking it and still swelling persists I recommend VENOUS DOPPLER SCAN of his legs . Kindly revert back with scan reports.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.