• question-icon

Suggest dosage for zinc supplements while suffering from carotid artery disease

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have MILD CAD in the [L](carotid) PSV: 11-125 cm/s. What amount of Zinc and in what form will clear out the artery of build-up? The [R] carotid is NORMAL according to my report.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would not recommend exceeding the dose of 40 mg Zinc daily.

There is not enough clinical data evidence to support the efficacy of Zinc supplements in reducing carotid artery stenosis.

But Zinc is really helpful in order to prevent atherosclerosis. From the other hand patients who take statins for reducing carotid artery stenosis, have Zinc deficiency.

But, I would not recommend taking concomitantly Zinc and statins, because of their interaction.

Regarding the form of Zinc, there is not a specific form of Zinc for this purpose.
I would recommend trying Zinc gluconate as it is better tolerated.

You can also take XXXXXXX supplements , as it can help in the absorbtion of Zinc. The dose of XXXXXXX should be ten times lower (4mg per day).

You can take a dietary supplements which contains both these supplements too.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist