Suggest dosage for Xanax

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My 17-year old daughter was on .5 mg 1 per day slow release Xanax (sp?) for about 2-3 months, and now coming off it. What is the best way to come off of it. She had anxiety from PTSD, so that is why she was on it. She started reiki and brain integrative therapy that works better than a psychiatrist and psychologist put together for her.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
.25 mg reduction per week

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

I am glad to know that rink and brain integrative therapy helped your daughter and she is in position to withdraw xanax.

Considering her duration of intake of two to three months you can follow following schedule to help her stop use of xanax.
Week 1
Tab Xanax 0.75 mg per day

Week 3
Tab Xanax 0.50 mg per day

Week 5
Tab Xanax 0.25 mg per day

Week 7
Tab Xanax half tablet of 0.25 mg per day

Week 9
Stop

In this way it will take almost two months but will ensure that there are no withdrawal symptoms.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
She started at .5mg daily. So, for 2 weeks .25 and then two weeks of 1/2 of .25? Also, when I wrote initially, no one told me about reiki and BTI - it would have saved me months of wasted time with a psychiatrist and psychologist doing EMDR.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Yes you can follow in this way.

Reiki is as effective as EMDR and in certain cases it is more effective than EMDR and I feel your daughter falls in later category.

Thanks again.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you. I think my question is that when I had my initial issue and shared it with you all, no one mentioned Reiki at all or EMDR. Only medication was suggested. I am curious why Reiki, EMDR, or BIT were never suggested? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I am not sure why reiki or BIT was not suggested but it is possible that one who answered may not have been experienced with these methods of treatment.

I hope this assists you further.

Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 14 hours later
Is there any other treatments that I should know about? I relied on you guys for info that was thorough and accurate. Thanks
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

There are many complimentary and alternative medicine therapies which may be available in your country for treatment of PTSD. In addition there are traditional yoga an meditation from XXXXXXX can help her along with traditional Chinese medicine.

I am not sure to whom you interacted and what they have answered but I am of the opinion that this site can be used as for informative purpose or for second opinion but never a supplement to infernos consultation with a local doctor.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 days later
I am in the United States. Unfortunately, I was given zero information as to alternatives by both my daughter's psychiatrist and psychologist, as well as you guys. I found Reiki and BIT on my own - disheartening that she was in the care of two specialists who basically told her that EMDR and meds are the only option. We are no longer working with either one of them.

Brief Answer:
I understand

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I understand your disappointment with the service which you received but I do not think I have power to correct them.

Rather than having guilt feeling we need to understand that your effort paid and your daughter is better and in condition to stop medications.

Thanks again.