Suggest dosage for Ramipril

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been on Ramipril 10mg for 2 weeks. I take the full 10mg in the morning. I also check my bp in the morning which remains high at 160/103 should I split the dose to 5mg morning and 5mg at night my pressure during the day drops to 130/80t
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would recommend adding another 5 mg during the night, in order to manage better your blood pressure. If your blood pressure is still above 140/90 you should raise the dose up to 10 mg twice daily.

Another option, instead of increasing the dose of ramipril would be adding another drug like hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg (diuretic) or amlodipine 5 mg(calcium channel blocker).

You should discuss with your doctor on the above options.

I would also recommend some lifestyle modifications in order to help reduce blood pressure:

- a healthy diet ( reduce salt and caffeine intake)
- a log of physical activity (walking, gym, aerobics, recreational sports)
- reduce your weight if you are overweight.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards!

Dr. Iliri