Suggest dosage for Ramipril post gastric bypass surgery

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: preop gastric bypass surgery I was 107 kg & post op I am 89 kg.Now I am on 6th week postop surgery. Preop I was taking Ramipril 10mg for BP.Postop continuing same should I reduce the dose Bp is in normal limits
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For the moment you don't need to reduce the dose of ramipril...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

You are reporting to take 10 mg of Ramipril which is efficient on controlling your BP within normal limits. You should keep in mind that the maintaining dose of Ramipril is regulated based on BP values and the dose ranges from 2.5 mg to 20 mg per day.

As long as the BP is stabilized and it's within normal range you don't need to reduce the dose of Rampril (although you have lost weigh from 107 kg to 89 kg).

However, you should monitor regularly your BP and only if systolic blood pressure drops below 100 mm Hg you should discuss with your doctor about reducing the dosage of Ramipril. In similar case (when systolic BP drop below 100 mm Hg) at my clinic I would recommend reducing the Ramipril dose to 7.5 mg.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu