Suggest dosage for Phenobarbital

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I was told that taking Phenobarbital had an age limit of 65yrs? I was given this by a lung Doctor who helped change my life and stop my Emphazema in its tracks. He gave me the Phenobarbital around 2001 for Sleep 1at bedtime. He also told me this wasn't probably what I was expecting. He then told it was safe if it works and you will be able to take it the rest of your life without an increase to any higher dose. He then said the reason is it isn't formulated as the barbiturates in the 60's and 70's which were much stronger and dangerous. Then were removed to prevent over douses. I have never had any side effects or withdrawal at All. I had forgot them on a few occasions when my family went to the Bay area. It wasn't till four day's later when we returned. No withdrawal Please help be in getting the truth..
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue to use it with caution.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

According to clinical studies, it is known that phenobarbital clearance by kidneys is lowered with age,resulting this way in increased blood levels, but there is no age limit.

In my opinion, since you didn't experienced any side effects,or withdrawal symptoms, you can continue to use it, but a lowering of dose according to kidneys function and plasmatic levels, may be necessary.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana