• question-icon

Suggest dosage for Misoprostol

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: How to take misopristol tablets after taking misopriston tablet ...is 4 tablets i have to take at a once or any ???? Can i to take with water after having food ???...please tell me this iam confused
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken with water after food.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
it is life threatening to try and abort the pregnancy on your own.
It is essential to have the pregnancy confirmed by a gynecologist .
It must be exactly dated too.
Next, medical abortion pills are to be taken as per prescription and correct schedule that your doctor explains to you.
I can explain the general protocol to you, but again, taking them without consulting a doctor is not just illegal, but potentially life threatening.
Generally, 1 tablet of Mifepristone is taken orally.
24 hours later, 2 tablets of 200 mcg Cytotec- misopristol are taken orally with water- can be taken after meals or vaginally followed by 2 more such tablets another 24 hours later.
After this procedure, bleeding and cramping might start within 24 - 48 hours, and continue for upto 2 - 3 weeks.
It is also vital to have a follow up ultrasound scan to check that the abortion pills worked and the uterus is empty, after 15 days of taking the tablets.
Failing to take these precautions , there are risks such as - infection, uncontrolled bleeding, retained products, undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy etc.
And if these steps are followed, the pills work in more than 95 % of cases.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN