Suggest dosage for Mifepristone and Misoprostol
These are prescription medicines
Medical termination of pregnancy is safe and effective upto 9 weeks of gestation. Since you are just 4 weeks pregnant, you may opt for these medicines.
WHO has recommended two regimes of medicines for termination of pregnancy upto 9 weeks of gestation:
1. Tab. Mifepristone followed by Tab. Misoprostol within 24-48 hours. Mifepristone is to be taken orally while misoprostol may be taken vaginally, buccally or sublingually.
2. Misoprostol only regime: Tab. Misoprostol vaginally or sublingually every 3-12 hours upto 3 doses.
However, these medicines are not 'over the counter' medicines. They should be taken by Gynaecologist's prescription and advice.
Usually the abortion is complete within 24 hours but not later than 72 hours after taking the last dose of Misoprostol. The completeness of the abortion can be ascertained by ultrasonography. Occasionally, the abortion may remain incomplete as evident by continued bleeding. In such event, the uterus has to be evacuated surgically.
These medicines are teratogenic and cause developmental abnormality in the baby. Hence, in case of failure of these medicines, the pregnancy should not be continued but terminated by some surgical method. In your case, at such an early gestational period, MVA aspiration may be tried then.
Therefore, please report to your Gynaecologist for appropriate advice regarding the consumption of these medicines.
For any more information, I am always available for you, Karnan.
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Frequent use of mifepristone and misoprostol
- Mifepristone and misoprostol dosage
- Mifepristone and misoprostol renal caliculus
- Mifepristone and misoprostol
- Mifepristone and misoprostol epilepsy
- Mifepristone and misoprostol tablets coimbatore
- Mifepristone and misoprostol and urination during
- Mifepristone and misoprostol cytolog
- Mifepristone misoprostol gynaecosid
- When to conceive (mifepristone and misoprostol)