Suggest dosage for Macrobid

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what is usual dosage macrobid for uti? also was on cipro did not help am out town bussiness do could not get a urine culture,my urologist switched me to macrobid still having symptoms have only taken 2 pilles 100 mg one last night one this am .Having diahrea also slightly
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can take a few days for an effect to occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) is normally taken as 100mg twice daily/every 12 hours, for 7 days.
It can take a few doses (3 to 4) for an initial effect to be felt.

Like many other antibiotics it can cause stomach upset and has been known to cause diarrhea, like you are experiencing.
Can also cause excess air, nausea, dizziness, headaches, sore throat, vomiting,headache.
Only a few, or in some cases none, of these effects can occur.

Using probiotics may help with the diarrhea

If there is no improvement at all after a few days and you are back home, then you may need to have the urine culture done to find the exact bacteria

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James