Suggest dosage for Kepra

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Epilepsy
Question: Hi i m from XXXXXXX , last seizure i had in 2012 ,it always happen while i am in sleeping from that now onwars i used to take medicafion chron500 and epilive twice each daily , since no seizure so i contacted to neurologist here he suggested to take Kepra instead of epilive and Eeg normal , so my question is for how long will i take these medicine and will this new medicine Kepra having any side effect ,i just afraid internally , need ur valuable suggestion thanks
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....KEPRA and EPILIVE are same.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.

Both the drugs EPILIVE as well as KEPRA are same as they both have same salt levetiracetam. So no question of being afraid. They are just different brands.

Normally anti epileptic medicines are given for very long time and they are never withdrawn cold turkey.

Normally the principal followed is that if one doesn't get any seizures for at least 4 years while on therapy then drug may be tapered slowly. That too after proper assessment by your treating doctor.

I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 20 minutes later
sir iagreed with ur answer , what should prevent i will take so fo that no seizire will happen though i know no seizure ,is there any test so that i can confirm and what should not to do
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Just take your medicines regularly.
Sleep well.
Eat healthy and avoid alcohol.
Avoid undue physical and mental stress.
Do yoga and meditation.
No test in particular is required at the moment.
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 minutes later
thanks for your concern , regularly i do excercise in gym is there any side effect and if either i take alchol in occasionally
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
Carry on with your gym.
As far as alcohol is concerned it should be avoided as it can interact with your medicines,however occasionally you may take not more than a peg.
Thanks