Suggest dosage for Insulin while on Acyclovir and Omnacortil

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 12 May 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi ,

My mother has got facial palsy two days ago...neurologist has suggested two take dosage of Omnocortil 50 mg for 10 days and then gradually reduce along with combination of acyclovir 800.
My mom is diabetic too and had liver cirrhosis earlier...With omnocortil intake...the diabetes shoots to 550 by evening...Neuro has said to control the diabetes by insulin..Since my moms diabetic physiscian is out of town I am not able to contact her..Can u pls suggest the amount of insulin that can be given if the diabetes shoots up under such circumstances...She usually has sugar levelk between 230-300 and takes 8 units of insulin 3 times a day.. Pls suggest the needful.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
The individual's insulin sensitivity needs to be taken in account.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Steroids frequently cause elevation of blood sugar levels. Insulin can be used to control the raised blood sugar. Two types of insulin need to be used - short action along with basal insulin. Medium action insulin combination may also be used. Using the sliding scale, for blood sugar levels between 200-250 mg/dl 4 units of insulin are supposed to be required. But the dose requires to be titrated following glucometer measurements. This should be done only under the guidance of a doctor as even slightly higher doses can lead to hypoglycemia which if not corrected immediately, could lead to death.

As of now the dose can be increased from 8 units to 12 units thrice daily but you would at least need to be under the follow up of a local physician if that is to be done. Further dose titration needs to be done based on glucometer readings.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy