Suggest dosage for Hydralazine, Metoprolol Tartrate and Amlodipine

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Taking morning: 25mg HYDRALAZINE, 50mg METOPROLOL TARTRATE & 5mg AMLODIPINE
Taking evening: 25mg HYDRALAZINE, 50mg METOPROLOL
Are these doses OK together. The morning dosage seems to cause hot flashes & weakness.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that when judging on a certain anti-hypertensive therapy it is necessary to review two important underlying issues: (I) efficacy and (II) safety therapy profile.

Your actual medications doses seem OK. They are not in the upper limit of the allowed daily doses; nevertheless, if your blood pressure values are properly controlled, then there is no need to further increase them.

From the other side, considering the safety profile, I would explain that the most probable cause of your complaints (hot flashes & weakness) may be Amlodipine.

Anyway, you need to frequently control your BP, as low values could lead to weakness as well.

If this unpleasant symptomatology keeps persisting, then you should discuss with your prescribing doctor for switching to another anti-hypertensive drug (instead of Amlodipine).

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri