Suggest dosage for Godex

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doc. I just got prescribed with Godex DX Capsules in the phillipines by a Gastroentorololist. becasue of my high Alpha-Pretoprotein results. Normal range is 0.0 - 9.0 but my reading was 48729.00. Jus wondering if this is correct diagnosis?

She recommended that I see an oncologist because the CT scan and the MRI that I took is not revealing and abnormal growth in my liver to signal cancer or serious cerrisis of the liver. Should I be concern a bout liver cancer or Severe cerissis based on my Alpha-petroprotein results?
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit an Oncologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am Dr.Amit Jain (DM, Gastroenterologist).Alpha feto protein is a tumour marker and it is raised in many other tumours apart from liver cancer. Also like any elevated tumor marker, elevated AFP by itself is not diagnostic, only suggestive.Increased serum levels in adults are also seen in acute hepatitis, colitis and ataxia telangiectasia. Increased serum levels of alpha-fetoprotein are sometimes found in Citrullinemia and Argininosuccinate synthetase deficiency. Means although it is tumour marker it may be increased in some noncancerous disease also. So I will suggest you to visit an Oncologist to evaluate for any cancer or non cancerous cause. Since Liver is normal in both CT and MRI Scan there may be some other cause for it. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Will schedule to meet an Oncologist on my next trip to Manila. How about the prescription of Godex DX Capsules? She's making me take this tablet three times a day. I am a type 2 diabetic and it seems that this medicine has been compounding the increase sugar level since I started using it. Is this normal side effect? Also, my Dr. gave me this medicine and she's aware that I was a heavy alcohol drinker before, however she never told me that I should stop drinking immediately, or drink in moderation as I am doing before I met her. Should I completely stopped drinking alcohol as precaution for any side effects?

I only bought a limited amount Godex DX because I was paying cash for it in the phillipine, they do not honor my insurance there, and was hoping to get it here on the islands under my insurance coverage. Unfortunately they do not sell this type of medicine at the pharmacies here and was advise by the clinic to take Milkthistle in its place. Is this ok? Also,
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cap Godex and milk thistle both are good for liver

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.Sorry for delay. Cap Godex is vitamin supplements which is said to be good for liver. I don't think there is any relation between the elevated sugar level and intake of capsule Godex. Yes you should stop drinking because it may be causing hepatitis and is harmful for liver. Milk thistle is also herbal medicine used for liver disease and found to be useful for that. I hope I have answered your query. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad