Suggest dosage for Fluconazole

Dr. Eni

Posted on Sun, 3 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had yeast infections in the past.In 2010 I went to doctor and he prescribed antibiotics first then fluconazole.It did not respond to this treatment.I went online to WEB MD and he suggested treatment of fluconazole 200.2 the first day and 1 for 6 days.It responded to this.It flared up again in 2017 and was given 2-150 fluconazole for 1 day then 1 for 2 days in April and got some relief.It was ok for awhile then again it reappeared.I was prescribed 1-150 fluconazole for 3 days with little relief.I kind of put up with it while trying some otc treatments with little relief.Went back to my doctor and was once again given 1-150 fluconazole for 3 days again with little relief in November.In December I went to a walk-in trying to get another opinion and was given 1-150 fluconazole for 10 days.Things still don't seem to feel right.Do you have any thoughts or suggestions that may help.
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to do a longer treatment

Detailed Answer:
Dear young lady,
From what you describe, this is a recurrent yeast infection, that does not respond well to first-line treatment.
In these cases, it is recommended to use fluconazole 150mg once every day for 14 days, then to continue using 150mg fluconazole once every week for 6 months.
I would actually recommend to avoid using antibiotics since they kill the bacteria and promote the growth of yeast.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T