Suggest dosage for Diazepam

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have anxiety taking 5mg diazepam for years. As I now have increased anxiety due to Crohn's disease do you think I should ask to increase dose of diazepam. I did severel months ago stop taking citalipam as I thought I was taking too many tablets - now mobervine zoperamide pro biotic bits b and d. Lost 4st 8lb in 1 year. Had many falls this year due to excess bile making legs weak whilst trying to get to bathroom. Recently Gastroenterologist put me on steroids - only took them 1 morning suffered terrible side effects causing 2 falls in early hours admitted to EAU and moved to ward (2) days. Due to have MRI scan very soon? Also paracetomal sometimes codeine when pain severe - try to eliminate flare up triggers
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes dose of Diazepam can be increased to 10 mg.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Diazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and 5 mg dose of the drug is not a very high dose. The drug helps to reduce the anxiety symptoms. In my opinion increasing the dose of Diazepam to 10 mg should help to control the anxiety symptoms. If your anxiety has worsened due to Crohn's disease then that will control the symptoms.

But since Diazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and has risk of dependence so this should not be used on regular basis. You can talk with a psychiatrist for evaluation. Diazepam should be continued but anti anxiety drugs like SSRIs can be used.

Sertraline or Paroxetine or Escitalopram can be used in your case. Paroxetine will also help in altered bowel habits and Crohn's symptoms. The drug will control the anxiety. Diazepam will reduce the anxiety symptoms.

You can go for MRI brain but that will come normal most probably.

Thanks. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 hours later
Thank you for your advice. Also regarding MRI scan it is not for brain but further investigation into Crohn's namely small bowel where inflammation is.
Then follow up apt with Gastroenterologist.
I know there is no cure - it is mostly about controlling pain and anxiety.
I feel for the mostly young people who have these conditions, thankfully there is no evidence for it to be genes.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI or CTE will help to assess then disease progression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes you can get MRI scan for small bowel done. MRI or even CT can help to assess the extent of disease. CT will even rule out complications like fistula or abscesses etc. Then you can continue to follow up with your gastroenterologist.

There is no cure, but this can be treated. I am not a Gastro doctor but the disease can be controlled if proper treatment is taken. Most of individuals are able to lead normal life thanks to advances in treatment.

For anxiety you can increase Diazepam dose of if needed regular use of SSRIs like Paroxetine can help.

Thanks. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana