Suggest dosage for Defza and Etrobax

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife is having orthrites and her Right Knee is affected. Dr. has advised one tab of Defzo 6 and one tablet of Etrobax after morning breakfast for getting the relief. Is treatment and dosage correct.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These medicines are for temporary pain relief and will not cure disease.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

You can take them for short duration, but avoid long term use.
Be aware of steroid side effects.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

I will advise to do x ray knee and if required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done.

Life style changes will help in reducing pain which include,
LOAD REDUCTION: Protecting the joint from excessive load may slow down the rate of cartilage loss. It is also effective in relieving pain. The heavier you are, the more stress you put on your joints, wearing shock-absorbing shoes, avoiding activities like climbing stairs and using a walking stick are worthwhile.

ACTIVITY MODIFICATION -It is important to maintain as much activity and joint motion as possible, but impact activities will aggravate arthritis. Running and jumping will often accelerate cartilage loss from the joint. The key is to focus on low impact activities, such as swimming or cycling.

VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. You can take this injection consulting your doctor.

Autologous chondrocyte implantation may help you.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 6 hours later
Can the condition of patient be improved without any invasive surgery.My patient
is 5ft 2 inches high and weighs 73 KGS.She will follow your recommendations.
Can the condition of the patient be improved, if she follows your recommendations
and can we avoid invasive surgery at this juncture.My patient is 155cms high and
weighs 73 Kgs.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes she can improve with out surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes she can improve with out surgery with proper treatment ,physiotherapy and weight reduction.

She needs proper weight reduction to avoid further increase in symptoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj