question-icon

Suggest dosage for Cyproterone

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015
Question: I am on Cyperoterone 10mg but I don't see the effect I need to. Why? Please help. What should I do? Increase the dose? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Dose

Detailed Answer:
First I would like to know the medical reason for which you have been prescribed cyproterone.

There are very select circumstances it is used in.

Moreover, the dose that you have mentioned is also unusual. Typically it is 100 mg with further dose increments.

I would also like to know why you are on Luvox.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (16 minutes later)
I m on 200mg luvox for ocd. I m on 10 mg cypro for hairloss. I m a male. 32. but in reality I want to reduce my sex drive to zero. How to achieve that 50mg cypro? thanks
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Cyproterone is not approved as a medication for reducing sex drive.

Off label some physicians use it to treat transgender patients ie in male to female trans-sexuals it is used as an 'anti-androgen' in a dose of 100 mg per day.Anti androgen means the medication lowers the effect of male hormones in the body. This would also suppress the male type sexual desire.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (4 hours later)
so which medicatyyou suggest for reducing sex drive in males? thx
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Second follow up

Detailed Answer:
Cyproterone is used off-label in some countries for special circumstances such as those with 'paraphilia' ie abnormal sexual disorders and sex offenders.
Depo Provera injections have also been reportedly used for this purpose.

However as an endocrinologist practising conventional modern allopathic medicine, I prefer to recommend only approved drug uses.
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist