Suggest dosage for Clonazepam

Question
I have for a long time been prescribed clonazepam for panic attacks and anxiety. I am prescribed three .5 mg twice a day. I have never taken that many. I usually take .5 mg as needed, so not even every day. Over the past three weeks due to a death in the family and a lot going on I have been more anxious than usual so I have been taking .5 mg per day. Three days ago it didn’t help so I took 1 mg in two divided does. The day after I took .5 mg plus a pill split in half so .25 mg. Yesterday was the same. Today was particularly difficult so I took 1mg at a time. I am prescribed way more but have never taken this much and feel very very strange. Am I having an overdose or am I simply not used to this. I certainly won’t be doing it again but I XXXXXXX afraid.
Note: I took the medication roughly 4
hours ago
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

You're are not in danger, but I would slow down the use of Klonopin. It is addictive and potentially dangerous in the long run.

You are likely having a paradoxical anxious reaction from taking too much of it. This will likely wear off in a few hours. Please talk to your prescribing doctor about how much Klonopin you should be using.

Dr. Sheppe

Follow-up: Suggest dosage for Clonazepam 11 minutes later
So I should be fine? I definitely won’t be taking this much again. I normally take it on an as needed basis because I know the risks for addiction. My dr. had me prescribed to up to 3mg a day which is way too much and I have never taken more than this at once. I will definitely speak to him on my next appt on Dec. 18th.

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you should be fine for now.

Dr. Sheppe