Suggest dosage for Buscopan

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I WAS PRESCRIBED RIFACOL 220..2 TABLETS 3X A DAY FOR 3DAYS FOR CRONIC IBS. I WAS TOLD TO TAKE THE MEDICATION IN THE SAME DOSAGE ONCE A MONTH UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. IT HAS BEEN GREAT..I WAS SYMPTOM FREE FOR ABOUT 19 DAYS. NOW I AM FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE AGAIN. CAN I TAKE THE MEDICATION EARLIER THAN PRESCRIBED? I AM OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND UNABLE TO CONTACT MY DOCTOR. CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME? I ALSO TAKE IBUTIN300 AND SOMETIMES BUSCOPAN OR DUSPATALIN...THEY ARE NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE RIFACOL HAS BEEN.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You are reporting reporting to have used rifacol for 3 days.
There are some different ways of using rifacol like:
- using 14 day of rifacol and than 14 free and than 14 day again using rifacol.
so it means using rifacol up to 28 days in two months and than stopping it for more than 1 year.
- using rifacol for 3 days every months like in your case.
So there is nothing to be worried if you use rifacol after 19 days off .
You can use it now for 3 days and repeat it next month again or you can use rifcol now for 14 days and don't repeat it next month.
Usually the patients that use it for 14 days have no IBS symptoms for at least 10 months after.

Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 16 hours later
Dear Dr. Shehu,
Thank you for your rapid response.
If I choose to use the 3 day once a month dose, how long can I continue that method? In other words, is it "forever"?
Has the success rate in treating this condition with Rifacol been greater with the 3 day method or the 14 on 14 off 2 times then stopping for one year method?
Many thanks for your help and advice.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

With regards to the method of 3 days per month usually it is used for 3-6 months .
There are a lot of studies about the most effective way of using rifacol for IBS.
Most of them suggest to use rifacol 14 days /month repeated for two months.
Otherwise your treating doctor knows better your health condition because he has done your physical examination too.

Wish you all the best.
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T