• question-icon

Suggest dosage for Atenolol

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I thought I took 2 25mg atenonol and forced myself to puke cuz i thought i had taken it... my vomit was cloudy but I did not see a pill. but it was very cloudy should I redose. I realized I hadn't taken the pill like I thought
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your situation and would explain that 2 tabs of 25 mg atenolol is not a high dose of atenolol.

I recommend you to closely monitor your hear rate and blood pressure during the next hours. If your heart rate is high, you should take.

I would not recommend taking it in case of low blood pressure or low heart rate.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 minute later
but if I threw up with in a few mind wouldn't that mean I threw up the meds
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, it would mean this. But how long after taking them did you threw up?

Sometimes if some minutes are passed from intake, parts of the drug can be absorbed.

That is why I recommended to wait at least one hour and closely monitor your heart rate and blood pressure, just to be sure that they will not lower.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
I threw up with in minutes I thought I took two so I forced myself to thro up. I o nm ly took one though. I take them for svt. I'm petrified to have an svt attack so I was wondering if I should redose. I did not see the pill in the toilet when throwing up but my puke was cloudy this was at about 3 something am.. my heart rate is at 70 as I am laying down. and just woke up. I'm not sure if due to my puke being cloudy I got the pill up or if I should retake
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

As I explained, you should just wait an hour and monitor your blood pressure and heart rate.

After an hour you could try taking 25mg of atenolol, without being afraid that your heart rate or blood pressure would drop from any possible small amount of atenolol absorbed in your stomach.

Anyway, I think it is all passed now.

You can continue with your normal doses.

Best wishes!

Dr. Iliri

p.s.: Sorry for the delay on answering, but I was on service, on a busy day at the hospital.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist