• question-icon

Suggest dosage for Amiodarone

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Have just, yesterday, started taking amiodarone as a replacement for flecanide which was no longer controlling my afib. Am worried that I may be taking too high a dose. Rx bottle says take "Take 2 tablets twice a day for 2 weeks then decrease dose." These are 200 mg tablets. Is 800 mg daily, as a starting dose, standard? Am wondering if directions should have been "1 tablet twice a day...". YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that the maximum dose of amiodarone that can be taken orally is 1600 mg per daily initially and then tapered off to a daily maintenance dosage.

So you are taking it in a right dose it not too much, just go with the instructions.

The thing is that initially it's given in a high dose so as to reach a stable plasma concentration of the drug inside the body and then it's continued in a maintenance dose so as to the drug effective.

I hope this information will relieve your worries and answers your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist