• question-icon

Suggest dosage for Allopurinol

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Lupus
Question: Hello - I have been taking 100 mg of allopurinol for a year to manage attacks of the gout. I increased the does to 200 mg for a week to see if this would help. I have reduced kidney function with a GFR of 69 as a result of a silent kidney stone that caused a blockage I was not aware of . No symptoms. Other kidney is normal and healthy. After a week, I stopped taking the higher dose of Allopurinol for fear that the higher dose might damage my kidney function. I am back to the usual 100 mg. dose. I get all panicked about my kidney function - some might say obsessively so. I am a male - 64 years of age. I have had 2 recent gout attacks - one that was aided with a cortisone shot however the current attack has been ongoing for 6 plus weeks now. Dr. prescribed various meds with no success. Also had a cortisone shot which assisted in reducing the pain however my toe is still swollen although less so now. I apologize for the length of my question.I had my uric acid tested as well as various blood tests. Results came back and my uric acid is 300. Why I was concerned about my GFR is that is has been rising over the past year from around the 56 - 58 mark 82, then 88 and then 92. As indicated, the test results that just came back pegged it at 69. That is when I thought I might have damaged my kidneys ( the damaged kidney still has very limited function ) by taking the increased dose of Allopurinol ( 200 mg ) for a week before stopping and reverting back to 100 mg. My GP has been out of the country for 6 weeks so I am dealing with a locum.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry it is a small dose

Detailed Answer:
Hi
This is a small dose.
This drug Will not impair renal function however there may be side effects in people who have impaired renal function.
So I suggest that Keep the drug at the same level especially since you are suffering an acute attack presently.
There is another drug called febuxostat which is slightly safer in people with impaired renal function
This can be considered.
An anti inflammatory like cortisone or colchicine should also be considered for your acute attack.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist