Suggest diet when allergic to Balsam of Peru

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am allergic to kathoncg5243 and balsam of peru i have a safe list for and have been the kathoncg and been sticking to the kathon cg 5243 safe list but i need to know what i can eat safely on the balsam of peru allegry. i was patch tested and the last time i inquired they said maybe i was allergic to nickel but that did not show up on my testing can you help with a balsam of peru diet?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use allergen free food/ cosmetics & medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thanks for the query through Health Care Magic.
I have read & understood your problem.
Balsam of Peru contains fragrance of cinnamon/vanilla/ cloves/essential oils from citrus peals/ Benzoates. They are used as essences, flavoring agents or fragrances in various items like edibles/ cosmetics/scents & in some medicines.
1.Diet-
- Mostly person with allergy to Balsam of Peru, can eat normal diet..
* - If the allergy is due to eatables..with oral or lip symptoms after consumption of food , the person has to avoid any essences or flavors like that of citrus peal, cinnamon, vanilla,cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, curry used in chewing gums/ chocolates/ cakes & pastries ice creams/sweets/ spicy food in diet etc.
- Specific diet may be prescribed by allergy specialist doctor after conducting more specific tests.
2. Fragrances - Avoid perfumes/ deodorants/ after shave lotions/ cosmetics / soaps,Talcum powder, sun screen lotions,shampoos, conditioners/ calamine lotions scented tea or coffee & tobacco.
* USE fragrance free products
3. Medicinal use of some hemorrhoid creams , cough syrups or lozenges,pain balms, surgical dressings need to be avoided.
* Please inform the prescribing doctor about allergy .
* It is suggested to check the ingredients list & material safety data on the label/ inside the packing of the products before purchasing
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks