question-icon

Suggest diet restrictions for typhoid fever in children

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016
Question: My elder son is having typhoid. it was detected before 12 days. his age is of 9 yrs. after taking medicine it is under control. kindly guide for how many days he has to take rest ? which food he can take ?? after how many days he can eat normal food. we are pure vegetarian.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (6 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Lightly cooked food should be fine for him.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Typhoid is a waterborne disease that gets controlled on treatment with proper antibiotics.

There is no specific dietary restriction advisable in typhoid (excepting for avoidance of too spicy or oily food). The main motive behind a typhoid patient's diet is to supply proper nutrition, and to balance the water and electrolyte proportion in the patient's body. Milk, fruit juices and barley are good options. The emphasis in this diet should be on raw or lightly cooked vegetables and fresh fruits.

There is no specific rest recommendation either. He is free to take up his regular activities so longer as his physical condition permits him to do so.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician