Suggest diet plan for a patient who had a colon resection

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: What types of food are recommended for someone who had his ascending and transverse colon removed and his colon resected four weeks ago?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My suggestions and list, hope this helps :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Actually, this is a question that should be directed to your operating surgeon as only he can monitor your progress and the current state of bowels, but let me try as you have requested for help.

I am sure you must have already gone through the initial stage of being only on clear liquids (e.g. soups, tea, fruit juices, etc.), and then moved on to full liquids (e.g. vegetable soups, etc.).

The next step is to introduce a soft diet which is usually done by the 3rd week or earlier, depending on the individual-specific response. If you are currently already on a soft food diet (e.g. boiled vegetables, tender meat, cereals, etc.), then the next step is to introduce normal food with the exception of certain problem causing foods like oily food, spicy food, fried food, fatty food, etc; which are all difficult to digest and will also irritate your bowels.

I would recommend foods like:

+Bananas
+Cereals
+Yogurts
+Baked or grilled lean meat
+Pancakes and apple sauce
+Potatoes
+Pasta
+Boiled rice
+Ice creams
+Boiled vegetables (boiled till they are soft)

I would also like to emphasise on restricting all of the following:

+Coffee and tea if it irritates you
+Popcorn
+Alcohol
+Smoking
+Medications (without complete necessity and with a prescription only)
+Fried food
+Fatty food
+Spicy food
+Food from questionable restaurants or eateries
+Oily food
+Gluten (if you are sensitive or allergic to it)
or anything that can cause symptoms like unexplained diarrhoea or constipation, abdominal bloating, increased gas, heartburn, etc.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.