Suggest diet for viral hepatitis

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi.. I was infected with Viral Hepatitis one month back. Symptoms I had were : Jaundice with bilirubin 4.8. Now my bilirubin is .7 and sgpt and sgot are normal now but still i have a lot of weakness and weight loss and dizziness.
So my question to you is: What diet should i follow?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need confirmation on the type of viral hepatitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,

First of all, I would like to have confirmation regarding two facts in your case,

1. What type of viral hepatitis did you have? Were you tested for various virus that cause hepatitis including hepatitis A, B and C? If you have reports with you, please upload them in the follow up.
2. Since liver function has improved, I presume you had acute self limiting hepatitis. Please correct me if I am wrong. You can discuss about acute and chronic hepatits with your treating doctor.

Currently you are receiving an updated treatment and most cases of acute viral hepatitis A or E can be managed alone with diet, supportive and conservative management. The muscle weakness and biochemical cure takes approximately 3-4 weeks to resolve, as in acute viral hepatitis biochemical cure that is restoration of normal lab values lags behind clinical cure. Now that your laboratory values has cleared, you will start to feel better soon.

In this circumstances consider having low fat or fat free diet like fruit splashes, green leafy vegetables, soups, moderately high protein diet like eggs, oatmeal, spinach, fish, milk shakes, apple custards, honey, jellies, sip feeds like freusbin etc., all will help to improve your strength and stamina. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid foods like yoghut, chocolates, avacado, biscuits, fatty fishes, spicy food.

I hope and wish this info and feedback is quite useful and convincing to you. I shall be humble to answer any of your further queries.

Thank you.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
DR XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
I had tested for Hep-B which tested non reactive/negative. I had donated blood in 2010 and was accepted. the doctor has ruled out hep-c.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can be rest assured.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,

It's quite good to see you with a sound, scientific and a brisk response. So the viral hepatitis in your case is all, and most likely to be " MILD TO MODERATE ACUTE VIRAL HEPATITIS E/A". As earlier stated this form of viral hepatitis needs no further lab evaluation as it resolves by itself with or without treatment.

This form of hepatitis is quite prevalent in the community and mostly a food borne/contaminated disease So be careful with your food habits while eating non home foods.Dietary management is the corner stone in recovering from this illness.

Bilirubin levels in your case are not too high in your case and they are expected to return to baseline in 3-4 weeks.

Finally I conclude to make you rest assured and advice you to stick to the earlier mentioned dietary regimen with compliance.

I thank you once again ,for your patient reading,
Wish you a very good health ahead,
Take Care.
DR.Suresh.