Suggest diet chart to reduce weight

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Diet Plans
Question: hello doctor,
m 36 yrs lady , weight is 70 KGS, height is 5'2, Bp- 80/120, blood grp- o+,
suffering from asthma, back pain want to reduce weight, pls help me in giving full diet chart.. I go for 3 kms walk thrice or four times a week
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Greetings..... !!!!!

As per the given data, your BMI is 28.4 Kg/m2. This means that your weight for the height is within the normal BMI Range. It is important that you adapt to a healthy diet routine and regular physical activities reduce the accumulated fat.

When it comes to diet, the choices for a weight loss program rotate around the high fiber sources of energy while eliminating any possible source of empty calories like alcohol and carbonated beverages. Also, the other high calorie foods like sweets, white rice, sugars, ice cream, refined foods etc. should be taken with caution.

Dairy is important, but is would be wise to opt for low fat dairy products and avoid adding any sugar to these items.
Fats and fried foods are full of flavors but at the same a time these foods provide quite high calorie post digestion, in addition to the unwanted fats and sometimes direct cholesterol. Choose from refined vegetables oils like rice XXXXXXX olive, corn etc. while eliminating the saturated fats like coconut oil, pure ghee and butter etc.

Fruits and vegetables are low in calories but are packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber. These are good options for a quick bite as a snack. Not only refreshing, but they also help in improved digestion and keep you full. Nuts and dry fruits may also be taken in moderation, keeping in mind that when fried nuts and dry fruits provide too many calories, and are also difficult to digest. Whole pulses and cereal grains are packed with quality fiber, and maintain satiety for longer hours.

Take pears, apple cider vinegar, yogurt, unsalted popcorn, green tea, black coffee (sugarless) and black beans. Use less salt in diet and take your meals on time. You may divide the meals into small portions and have it at regular intervals. Club the diet program with physical activities for better results. A brisk walk of 30 minutes or some light exercises may be started at initial phase. Gradually improving the time and frequency. Best is to consider combination plan that takes cardio and basic strength training into account.

Here is a sample menu to help you understand the diet :

Early Morning: Green tea ( sugar less)
Breakfast: non fried preparations/ whole wheat bread/ vegetable poha, upma, XXXXXXX etc. / idli sambhar etc.
Mid-Morning: Fruits ( avoid the carbohydrate rich fruits like XXXXXXX sapota, grapes, banana, custard apple and watermelon)
Lunch: 2 dry chapatti or Boiled rice - 1 Cup + sabji 1 katori + dal or skimmed curd – 1 katori + salad 1 katori
Evening Snacks: Tea / Coffee (1 tsp. sugar) + high fiber bis. OR Sprouts 1 katori
Dinner: 2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.

Start your meals with salads and buttermilk, and stop eating when you are just full.

Hope this helps.

Stay Fit....

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T