Suggest diet chart for pancreatitis
the patient also has a wheat alergy, and 3 stents in his heart.
Low fat diet
Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.
In pancreatitis the pancreatic enzymes are not secreted sufficiently. And when these non-secreted enzymes get activated in the pancreas they cause damage and inflammation of this organ. In lack of pancreatic enzymes, the digestion of Fat, Carbohydrate and Protein also gets affected.
The classical diet for pancreatitis is one that is low in fatty food and spices. I would suggest you to avoid fried food, creamy desserts, whole milk and its products, red meat and fruits like avocado. Other foods that aggravate the symptoms include nuts, nut butter, coconut, coconut milk, refined tofu and most bakery products.
If you have chronic pancreatitis, then you may include the above mentioned foods in moderation, but make sure that you take one food at one time and in small quantities only.
Foods that you may take safely include the following:
• Low fat dairy and its products.
• Dairy alternatives like rice milk, beans, lentils and unrefined soy products.
• Whole grains and its products may be safely taken. However, because of active Gluten intolerance I would suggest you to avoid taking wheat and its products. Other foods that might activate the symptoms of gluten intolerance are barley, rye and triticale. Also, avoid taking the packed bakery foods, unless marked with a “ Gluten Free” label.
• Fresh fruits like banana, cherry, strawberry etc.
• All vegetables especially green leafy vegetables.
Take smaller portions and ensure that you chew the food properly. This facilitates digestion and takes load off the pancreas. Like in any other condition sufficient rest and a positive attitude promotes faster recovery.
Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me for further discussion.