Suggest diet appropriate for iron deficiency anemia
Animal foods are better source of iron
thanks for your query.
Certainly you can improve your diet to get more iron from food. Usually animal source iron is better absorbed than plant source. You have not mentioned if you are a vegan.
The following foods are good sources of iron from animal sources - Chicken liver, Oysters, Clams, Beef liver, Beef (chuck roast, lean ground beef),Turkey leg,Tuna, Eggs, Shrimp, Leg of lamb, etc
The following foods are good sources of iron from plants - Raisin XXXXXXX (enriched), Instant oatmeal, Beans (kidney, lima, Navy), Tofu, Lentils, Molasses, Spinach, Whole wheat bread, Peanut butter, etc.
Try to combine non-animal iron foods with vitamin C (for example, a glass of orange juice) to increase absorption of iron.
Hope this helps. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Iron deficiency anemia anxiety
- Iron deficiency anemia and styes
- Iron deficiency anemia marijuana
- Iron deficiency anemia treatment
- Iron deficiency anemia and thyroidectomy
- Iron deficiency anemia microcytic
- Severe iron deficiency anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia in pregnancy
- Iron deficiency anemia emedicine
- Iron deficiency anemia and blindness