Suggest diet and exercise for prediabetic sugar levels

Dr. Phanindra Dulipala

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: my fasting blood sugar is 95 however pp is 170 with traces in urine, Am I diabetic? What do you recommend?
At present what treatment I should take for my burning & sensitive teeth ?
Do advise on diet control & exercises?
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not a diabetic as of now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Sir, The fasting blood sugar is absolutely normal, but postprandial sugar level comes under pre-diabetes. As of now you are not diabetic, but there is a chance of getting it. You can follow the guidelines regarding diet and exercise with blood sugar monitoring every 2-3 months. With proper diet and exercise, you can delay the occurrence of diabetes.

Try out the following guidelines regarding diet for 2-3 months with blood sugar levels monitoring:

* Avoid single high concentrated meals.
* Small frequent meals more times in a day.
* Food high in fibre content like vegetables, whole pulses, fruits, etc.

1.Avoid all kinds of refined carbohydrates like sugar
2.Take all kind of fresh veggies kindly restrict use of potato and sweet potato.
3.Instead of white bread go for brown bread or multi grain bread.
4.Alcohol can be taken in a moderate quantity, Try avoiding wine and beer.
5.Avoid all kinds of carbonated drinks they are not good for your bone health.
6.Low fat milk can be consumed about 200 ml per day
7.Low fat cheese and low fat yogurt can be taken.
8.Daily you can take a small cup of almonds, walnuts, pista and penuts which are good for your good cholesterol.
9.Daily take only one fruit, avoid banana ...if you like take only minimal quantity
10.You can take protein like fish, meat, chicken 200 grams twice weekly
11.Alternate days you can take 2 egg white...please discard yolk(yellow) since it contains bad cholesterol
12.Use olive and sunflower oil for cooking.
13.Prefer grill than oil fry.
14.Take good amount of green leaf veggies to avoid constipation.

Regarding exercise, at least 30 minutes of brisk walking.

Regarding dental pain, discuss with the treating doctor for triple antibiotic local application.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 22 hours later
Does that mean I could be diabetic in future without history of diabetes in my family?
After 15-30 days when the report comes normal for blood sugar level do I have to still continue with the restricted diet control or I can have some relaxation in my consumption?
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can have relaxation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, welcome back.

To, be diabetic, family history is not mandatory. But in reverse, If there is history, its high risk factor to become diabetic.

In your case, You may or may not get diabetes in future. But there is more chance of getting it as your sugar levels showed that probability.

Coming to diet restriction, that's good to follow even in a non diabetic. Coming to diet, you need not be so strict in that. You can now and then have relaxation. The diet guidelines I have advised is only for your information.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer.
Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad