Suggest contraceptive injection to prevent pregnancy
Dear XXXX, Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
Depot Medroxyprogesterone is an injectable contraceptive (prevents pregnancy) which is given intra-muscularly (arm or buttock). It is 99.7% effective in preventing pregnancy and given every 3 month.
It contains a hormone (Progestin) which stops the release of
eggs from the ovaries and thickens cervical mucus making it difficult
for sperms to fertilize your eggs. It also causes thinning of endometrium (lining of the womb) to prevent implantation of fertilized egg.
Generally it is safe however the most common side effects include irregular bleeding or spotting, breast soreness, weight gain, acne or depression during the first 3 months of use in some users. Fertility (able to become pregnant) will resume about 9 months after the last dose.
Since this a prescription medication, it should be prescribed by a gynecologist after proper evaluation of the user.
Hope this answers your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Women contraceptive injection
- Contraceptive injection in dubai
- Contraceptive injection for men
- Male contraceptive injection
- Contraceptive injection pregnant
- Contraceptive injection bleeding
- Coming off the contraceptive injection
- Contraceptive injection weight gain
- Depo contraceptive injection
- Female contraceptive injection