question-icon

Suggest cold and cough medication for a lactating mother

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: Can you help in knowing a medicine which a breast feeding mom can have in case she is having running nose and some coughing.
Answered by Dr. Arun (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Usually cold and.cough is viral.
If you are already breastfeeding then only a few medicines are considered safe.
Try chlorpheniramine and phenylephrine combination available in various brand names.
I usually prescribe febrex plus tablet.
Don't worry.
This can be taken once or twice daily but if symptoms don't improve Consult your doctor.
Also do steam inhalation and saline gargling which will help symptomatically.
Ensure you drink plenty of liquids and milk and juices to keep hydrated.
Dr Arun
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology