Suggest causes of high potassium and red blood cells count

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I am a female, 76 years old, with good (?) health, but today I got a call from my doctor wanting me to come back to the office for another blood test. I was informed that my potassium and red blood cells were high. What should I be concerned about?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to be concerned now!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this abnormal blood test results that you are being called back for. There is no relationship between increased potassium levels and increased red cells levels. In the absence of any symptoms and abnormal results that cannot be explained by a single disease condition, I will suspect the sample collection, storage or testing process was faulty. The first reflex is to get the tests controlled to confirm that these reported abnormal values are real.

Any reasons to get worried? Right now NO, unless we gather more information that keeps us worried.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more clarifications and information if need be. Thank you so much for using our services.