Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Suggest cause and treatment for recurrent UTIs and yeast infections?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
Hi. I have had recurrent UTIs and yeast infections this last year. This last November I had, next, bacterial vaginosis and then again this last week of Dec 2013 and yeast infection. I finished my medicines and I still am having pain and discomfort in that area. My doctor tested for std's and I don't have any. I've had a MRI to check cancer and I didn't have cancer. So I am wondering what is wrong with my body. I keep going back and he still just keeps giving me RX's and then I get another infection later. But I feel as this isn't normal for someone. Also I wandered if this has anything to do with my RNY surgery in 2011 or my hernia surgery in 2012. If not, what should I be asking my doctor or is there something I should tell him to test for.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Basically, there is an imbalance in your vaginal pH,that is making you susceptible to infections. Please take lactobacillus capsules ( probiotics ) for 2 - 3 months. Have daily curd / yoghurt. Also, is it possible that you are contracting fresh infections from your partner ? A new sexual partner / multiple sexual partners can make you prone to recurrent infections. Get your partner screened as well. Also, please get your blood sugars tested, diabetes makes you prone to infections. I do not see any corelation with your surgeries. Excessive cleansing / douching of the genitals leads to depletion of normal vaginal flora, leading to infections. Avoid rubbing / washing / cleaning vigorously with soaps / gels / douches / cleansers. Just clean with warm lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry with a soft towel. Change undergarments frequently = stick to cotton panties. Tampons / toilet paper / latex in condoms - all these could be causing the infection, check on them. Please discuss the following with your doctor - 1. Screening for your partner. 2. Ascertain vaginal pH by a simple swab test. 3. Take a vaginal swab in any case to pick up a lingering infection that is flaring up every now and then. 4. Blood sugars to be tested. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor