Suggest best infant food instead of breast milk

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my baby is 5 months 10 days old. I have started giving her amul taaza mixed with water (50:50) from last few days 2-3 times a day as mother's milk is not sufficient. Is this ok to give her this?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I understand your concerns but it's not a recommended practice at all. It is not good for your child's nutrition. If breast feed is not enough for your child then you may take the following measures:

1. Try to increase milk secretion by good healthy diet and plenty of fluids to mother. Avoid stressors.
2. Tab. Perinorm or Leptaden may be taken to increase milk secretion thrice daily.
3. Other choice are formula feeds like Lactogen or NanPro 1 after proper and hygienic dilution.
4. From 6 months onwards, you may start your baby on complementary feeds along with milk. These includes puried fruits, dals, veggies, roasted flours mixed with water or milk.

Avoid cow's milk before 1 year of age.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 19 hours later
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I take Lactonic powder with milk to increase breast milk. But it does not serve the purpose fully. After 6 when we'll introduce solid to her then what water is to be given? Normal boiled water or mineral water?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have to give pure water

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The main thing is prevention of infections when we introduce complementary feeds. So, it should be hygienic and home made. You have to use clean and pure water. It can be both Mineral water or boiled and filtered water.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions. Else you may close the discussion, rate the answers and write a review.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina