Suggest ayurvedic treatment for joint pains and numbness in foot

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Wed, 1 Apr 2015 in Ayurveda
Question: Please advise ayurvedic oil/ointment for joint pains and numbness on foot due to nerve compression so that blood circulation across nerves can be smoothly done as i think due to blood circulation issues there is numbness in one of my foot for that i had opened the request earlier with you but forgot to ask about the same.
Also advise on some medicines that can help for smooth blood circulation.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please Follow Gridhrasi Chikitsa

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for your concern raised.

1. Going by your symptoms of nerve compression and numbness it could be 'Sciatica' i.e. 'Gridhrasi' in Ayurveda since the complaints are very indicative of said pathology. (as sciatic nerve controls many muscles of lower leg and also control sensation of thigh,leg and feet.

PS. Since Orthopedic Opinion was normal it could be 'pseudo sciatica' due to compression of peripheral region of spinal nerve.

Management

1. In Ayurveda we hold 'VATA' to be the main cause of pain, thus:

. Avoid diet which aggravates Vata ( as explained earlier)
. Maintain good posture:
i. Do not sleep in fetal position
ii. Lie straight and prefer ergonomically designed chair which properly support your back.
iii. Avoid constipation

2. Medicines for your pathology is/are
. Simhanada gugullu (anti inflammatory)
. Godanti mishran with maha rasnaadi decoction (analgesic with laxative)
. Vrihat vaat chintamani ras (Immunomodulator)
. Mahavisha Garbha Taila for Pain relieving (external application)

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply,may i know how long do i need to take these medicines, please let me know the treatment plan with dosage details and food to avoid and take as i am pure vegetarian.

Are there any asan's/excercise that i can also do.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment Schedule and Management elaborated

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back.

1. Pain due to pure Vata require 1 month therapy whereas if there is covering of Vata i.e. 'Avaran' it will take 4-5 months for maximum effect

2. Take sinhanada guggulu:2 tab with milk twice daily.
PS. make sure to crush tablets everytime you take them.

3. Godanti mishran 2 with 15ml maharasnadi kwatha..thrice daily

4. Vrihat vaat chintamani ras (costly drug): 1 in morning and one at night.

5. Mahavishagarbha taila to be applied after giving sudation to the affected region with hot water bottle, hot bath (as and when required)

6. Supta padanghushthasana
. Bharadwaj asana
. Adhomukha Shwasana are recommended Yogic Asana for you, please consult a Yogic Expert there for better understanding of the same.

Dr. Munish
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 45 hours later
Thanks for the reply, i have recently bought Mahavishagarbha taila and applied to the affect numbed area but seems that the relief is only temporarily, may i know how long does it take to stop numbness completely.

Is there any issue if i apply the oil with out hot water bottle/hot bath?

Please also advice food/fruits that can help for better blood circulation in body.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Address the root cause

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back.

1. Mahavisha garbha taila is applied externally whereas numbness is internal thus the effect is temporarily, thus start taking internal medicine for 2-4 months for better outcome of the disease.

PS. To stop numbness completely, as said earlier address the root cause, which can only be possible by remaining under regular guidance of your physician.

2. Hot therapy allows better absorption of oil thus is recommended.

3. For improvement of blood circulation:
. Take:
i. Wholegrain (oats,apple,orange,pears, bananas,kidney/chick peas), fish/olive oil, L-arginine
ii. Antioxidants: almond,lemon,kiwi XXXXXXX olive,onion,papaya,peaches,pears,avocado, beet,black berries,broccoli,carrot,cauliflower, cherry,guava.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 55 minutes later
Thanks again for the reply, as i have consulted with Ortho Surgeon and had done x-ray for the right foot so no issues at that front as advised by ortho surgeon. Also had gone thru complete blood test and there too no issues observed. Therefore could you please let me know in case of any specific test that is required. My uric acid, sugar, thyroid tests are normal too.
I still feel there could be nerve compression issue. Kindle advise.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation & Diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back.

1. Since maximum investigations/examination came normal thus one can adopt following line of management;

i. Manage on the line of pseudo sciatica (Gridhrasi)
ii. If in doubt about nerve compression, ask for:
. EMG: Electromyelography
. NCV: Nerve Conduction Velocity
. SSEP: Somato Sensory Evoked Potential

PS. Above tests will help differentiate an independent muscle disease or any nerve disorder causing muscle weakness.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
( for any further information, kindly contact me directly on: bit.ly/drmunishsood)
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 18 minutes later
Please also advise in case i want to avoid these tests and start with the medicines with you have advised.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These tests are required for the plan and to decide further action.

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back.

1. The medicines prescribed earlier are directed on management of numbness on the basis of disturbed Vata which require treatment to continue longer.

2. The specialized electrical nerve tests are the NCV and EMC. As these specialized tests can directly assess the proper functioning of the body's nervous system, thus EMG/NCV is an extremely beneficial and informative test and since there is no waiting for blood reports or to wait for expert opinion,one can get information there and then only.

3. Get back with your physician or contact me with details of the report, to offer the best treatment plan.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika