• question-icon

Suggest ayurvedic remedies for eczema on the legs

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Ayurveda
Question: I have been suffering from eczema since childhood. It had occurred at an early age and was cured. Later, around year 2000 and then again around 2007-2008, I had got eczema on my legs ( behind my knees and legs ) and also minor patch on my knuckles. This was cured with homeopathy medicine which took almost 2-3 years to cure. Again , I have got a relapse of eczema on my legs this Dec 2016. Allopathy medicine does not agree with me and gives side effects. Please advise on a permanent and especially a quick cure to this problem.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload photos and investigation(s) if any

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting the Ayurveda section of (A)YUSH and after reviewing your case history I'm of the following opinion:

1. As it is an example of Autoimmune [AI] disease thus are/were you suffering from any autoimmune disorder like Rheumatoid Arthritis, diabetes, vitiligo, hypothyroidism, psoriasis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease [IBD]

PS. was any investigation(s) done to exclude them and diet which causes release of histamine and thereby causing allergy could be one of the causes of eczema, and can be eggs, peanuts, shellfish, sea food or dairy products, food coloring, artificial sweeteners can trigger the immune system to react.

2. please upload the images for better management of the disease till then dietary regime can be incorporated into your daily routine:

3. One thing to remember is that the duration of treatment may not be proportional to the extent of skin involvement, probably because of a disturbed immune system, so prolonged treatment with XXXXXXX (Nervine) & Rasayana Drugs (Immunomodulators) should be continued irrespective of the improvement.

PS. Eczema is triggered by STRESS and disturbed Immune System, any type of stress (physical/emotional/mental)?

4. Avoid:milk,yogurt,sugarcane products, fish meat, newly harvested rice, salt, vinegar, oily foods, raw radish, over eating, sleeping during day, brinjal, tomatoes, soap (dry)

5. Take:green vegetables, boiled and filtered water to drink, protein rich diet, iron, folic acid, barley, whole wheat bread, honey, eggs, brown rice, orange.

P.S. because skin and nervous system have a common embryological origin thus medicine should cover the neuro part also.

6. Vit E which works as an antioxidant can be applied to the skin as well as taken orally.

7. Include a diet rich in Vit. A, B6, E and essential fatty acids

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

bit.ly/drmunishsood

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 24 hours later
I have uploaded the images.

To my knowledge , I don’t suffer from any of the stated Autoimmune [AI] disease/ food allergy/ disturbed Immune System. Please advise the tests that would determine this

Kindly advise if almond oil should be applied or Vitamin E oil is advisable.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further necessary information

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back
1. To determine if one is suffering/having any autoimmune disorder kindly check with:
- TFT [thyroid function test]
- RA factor and anti ccp test [for RA]
- Fasting blood sugar [FBS] for diabetes
- ANA examination, CBC [complete blood count] and Wood’s Lamp test: in Vitiligo/ SLE
- Endoscopy [colonoscopy] for IBD
- Skin biopsy for psoriasis or any other skin disease

2. As almond oil itself contains Vitamin E [100 gm of almond oil contains 60 IU of Vit. E] and because it has anti inflammatory, immunomodulating and anti hepatotoxic properties thus can be used in eczema [however prescription may vary from doctor to doctor and region wise] and also because it has emollient properties thus is very effective in dry eczema

3. Take Trifla Churan: 1 gm at night with lukewarm water
- Pancha tikta ghrita [1 tablespoon] with arogyavardhini vati: 1 tablet thrice daily
- Sariva assav/Khadira arishta; 20 ml twice daily with equal amount of water [after meals]
- Marichyadi/tuvrakadi taila [for external application]

4. Or you can go for a compound formation like:
- Immunorich capsules: 2 capsules twice daily
- Derm Care Syrup: 2 tsf thrice daily
- Capsule phytstress: 2 capsules twice daily

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist