Suggest antidepressant that doesnt cause impotence

Posted on Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Question: i want to know if there is an antidepressant that doesnt cause impotence
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There are medicines available Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Commonly used medicines for depression are SSRI group of medicines (like Citalopram, sertraline, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluoxamine etc). These medicines affect sexual functioning in around 10-20% population. Depression itself affect sexual functioning by causing low desire, premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. In such cases patient needs some long term treatment for depression with the medicine with no sexual side effect. In such cases you can try Mirtazapine or Bupropion, which have good anti-depressant effect with no sexual side effect. Even these medicine improve sexual functioning affected by depression. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
Well I am also on methadone, is that a factor?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. Yes methadone is also associated with multiple sexual side effects like: -Impotence -Decreased libido -Difficulty in reaching orgasm So, in your case 3 issues can lead to sexual problem: Depression, antidepressant use and methdone use. For treatment we should start working one by one. Like treatment of depression with medicine which do not affect sexual functioning (Mirtazapine or Bupropion). If symptoms do not improve in 1-2 months, then you can request your physician to slowly taper and stop methadone. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. Wish you good health. Regards
Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist