Suggest anticoagulants other than Warfarin that doesn't require frequent testing

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Sep 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I take 6 mg of warfarin daily and have a pro-time monthly. Is there some other blood thinner I can take that doesn't require frequent testing?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Let me know the indication for which you are having it.

Detailed Answer:

In general there are other anticoagulants available for which is monitoring is not required like Apixaban, Dabigatran, Rivaroxaban etc and these don't require monitoring.

But, issues with this, not useful in all the patients so tell me the indication for anticoagulant.

Secondly, you have mentioned you received Pradaxa but stopped due to cost issue, but this problem is there with all newer anticoagulant and all are costly.

So if you are affording then only we can think of initiating it.

Hope this helps you and get back with some more information or if you have any doubts.

Dr. Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 12 hours later
I stated in my medical history that I had a heart attack 2014
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just for heart attack, Warfarin is not given.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Just for heart attack anticoagulants like Warfarin or Pradaxa is not given. These patients are given antiplatelets like Aspirin or Clopidogrel and other medicines.

Usual reasons for heart attack patients requiring anticoagulants are either Atrial fibrillation (irregular heart rate) or those who have clot in their heart.

So either of two may be there. I just want to make sure that, you don't have valve replacement. Because for these patients, Warfarin is only required and we can't be give other anticoagulants which don't require monitoring.

But I guess it's not a case with you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad