Suggest anti inflammatory medications for pelvic pain

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My 89 year old mother has fractured 2 bones in her pelvis. She is in a skilled care nursing home for re-hab. Her pain level is debilitating. She was taking Lortab and toradol at alternating times. With this combination is pain was more manageable. Her doctor stopped the Toradol, because it is for short term. He replaced the toradol with Demerol. Now with Lortab and Demerol alternating, the pain is debilitating to where she can't do re-hab. An X-ray showed no change in the fracture, yet does indicate hematoma. It is my thought she needs an anti inflammatory medicine. Even extra strength Excedrin would be worth trying in place of the Demerol.
Do you have any input on a pain reliever for this situation?

Thanks........... XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I do not think that she needs antiinflammatory

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

I have studied your mother's case history and I think she does not need anti inflammatory medication. Long term antiinflammatory medication can cause more load on heart. I would suggest that she continue Lortab and Demerol as these two are safer medicine in old age. If pain is very severe then rather then taking them alternative day, both can be taken together. You can discuss about this option with the treating doctor.
As far as x ray change is concerned, atleast 4 months is needed to see signs of healing. So do not worry about this.

I hope this answer will help you, Let me know if you want to ask any followup question.
Thanks.