Suggest an over the counter muscle relaxant to treat a painful UTI

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: what type of over the counter muscle relaxer can i take for the pain of uti?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscle relaxants are not helpful in UTI.

Detailed Answer:

Symptoms of acute uncomplicated cystitis (urinary bladder infection) should respond to antimicrobial therapy within 48 hours. In fact, the bladder pain is usually diminished within a few hours after the start of the antibiotic.

If it is severe, the recommendations are not muscle relaxants (because they are not helpful) but a urinary analgesic such as over-the-counter oral Phenazopyridine three times daily as needed. A two-day course is usually sufficient to allow time for symptomatic response to antibiotic and minimizes inflammation.

Drink plenty of fluids- it's very important.
If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee